Files Available in the Center
Current status as of January 2023
Most of the archival materials of value to researchers are held in the Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) at the Morris Library. You can find them via the John Dewey Research Guide. The Center for Dewey Studies does hold some archival files of interest that have been accumulated in the course of the publishing and research projects that have been carried on here over the years. Those of lasting archival value we plan to relocate to the keeping of the SCRC, which will ensure they are stored in proper archival conditions and accessible to researchers for a long time to come. Where definite plans exist, those are mentioned below.
- Main File (photocopies of source material and production files from the Collected Works) – Cabinets 18-20 – to be transferred to SCRC
- The Correspondence of John Dewey (photocopies, transcriptions, production files) – These files have been transferred to SCRC and are currently being processed. They may be temporarily unavailable during this time.
- The Class Lectures of John Dewey (production files) – Cabinets 20, 36, 42 – to be transferred to SCRC
- Works About Dewey (photocopies of all items in the Works About Dewey through 2016) – 12, 17, 23-27, 32-35, 38; outside cabinets 1-17 – in the process of verifying that all of these have been scanned, after which we intent to eliminate the paper copies of the collection and provide local access to digital versions
- Class Lecture Notes - Cabinets F and G
- Sidney Hook Bibliography (photocopies of all items in Sidney Hook: A Checklist of Writings plus additions) – Cabinets A, B, C, D
- Dewey Newsletter; reviews of Dewey Center publications; reviews of Dewey’s works; dissertation awards information – Cabinet 8
- Center correspondence – Cabinet 11
- Biography files (used in production of Correspondence) – Cabinet 28
- Various other production and administrative files not listed above, awaiting processing