The Center houses photocopies of over 24,000 pieces of correspondence to, from, and about John Dewey arranged in an electronic database, which allows for detailed searches by word or phrase. Dewey's published writings are contained in a thirty-seven-volume set titled The Collected Works of John Dewey. This collection exists both in print form and also in a searchable electronic database. The Center houses thousands of secondary works about Dewey, the titles of which have been arranged in a searchable bibliographic index. The Center also has audio/visual media, photographs, biographical and bibliographical materials, and newspaper articles that deal with Dewey's life and work.
Dewey's papers, original versions of his manuscripts, his professional library, photographs, and memorabilia are housed in the Special Collections Research Center at Morris Library on the SIUC campus. If you would like to view items in Special Collections during your visit, you will need to contact Special Collections for an appointment. Visit the Special Collections website.
Traveling to the Center
From St. Louis
The quickest way to visit is to fly into St. Louis. From there you can arrange to have an airport shuttle (BART) transport you from St. Louis. (www.bartshuttle.com) You also have the option of taking a commuter flight to the Williamson County Airport located in Marion, Illinois, approximately 20 miles from Carbondale.
If you are flying into Chicago, you may take the Amtrak train to Carbondale.
Driving to Carbondale
Directions can be be found below via Google Maps.
- Visiting the SIU Carbondale Campus - Information regarding dining, parking, SIUC, and Carbondale.
- SIU's Homepage - The Homepage for Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
- Carbondale and the Southern Illinois University campus have a public transportation system you can utilize which provides service to the various hotels / motels in the city. Monthly passes can be purchased by visitors.
Hotels / Housing
- Hotels.com listings for Carbondale
- SIU University Housing Page
- SIU's student newspaper, the Daily Egyptian, may provide information in its classified section relevant to hotels and housing.
- The Classified section of The Southern Illinoisian may provide useful information as well.
- As always, please contact us if you have any questions or desire any input.
- Metered lots on campus cost $.50 per hour. City lots cost $.25 per hour.
- Long-term visitors may wish to purchase a temporary permit from SIU's Parking Services division.